Lentils and Amaranth Soup
Grandma's lentil soup can't get any better.
Author: The Artisan Cookery
- 1 ½ cup of Lentils
- ½ cup amaranth seeds
- ¾ lb Mexican sausage (chorizo) sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 large potato, diced into small cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 tomatoe
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbs paprika
- Olive oil
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the lentils and drain.
- In a big pot add some oil and fry the onion and the garlic.
- Add the chorizo and cook for one minute.
- Puree the tomato in a blender and stir into the pot.
- Add the lentils, amaranth, bay leaf, paprika and the chicken bouillon.
- Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil, then lower the heat.
- Add the carrots and potatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally so the lentils don`t stick to the bottom of the pot. Cook until the carrots and the lentils are soft.
- Add more hot water if you notice that the water gets consumed before the lentils are done. Discard the garlic and the bay leaves.
- Taste and add salt if necessary, serve and enjoy.